Wednesday, August 23, 2017

...a bittersweet post


This is a difficult blog for us to post and will not be an easy read for many of you. I can assure you that those of us who have had the pleasure of working with Terry Simpson everyday are trying to soak up all of his wit and wisdom before he calls it a day. Please follow our Maryville College Teacher Licensure Facebook page to monitor the events being planned to celebrate the man, the myth, the legend, but most importantly, our friend...Dr. Terry L. Simpson.       BL, AO, and BW





Dr. Barbara Wells
Vice President and Dean of the College  
Maryville College 

Dr. Wells: 
I have always told my faculty in the Maryville College Teacher Licensure Program that when I am no longer an asset to the program, I do not want to stay in my position.  It seems that I have reached that point.  For this reason, I will retire at the end of the 2017-2018 academic year. 

If I may quote the Holy Scriptures that I read, “I have finished my course.”  At the close of the 2017-2018 academic year, I will have completed 44 years as a teacher.  This pilgrimage began in 1973 in Knox County Schools as a teacher at Cedar Bluff Middle School.  It was the realization of my dreams as a 7th grader.   

At the close of this academic year, I will have completed 28 years at Maryville College.  When I came to Maryville College, the Tennessee Department of Education was restructuring teacher education in the state.  Few people have the opportunity to play a critical role in the initial development of a new program.  I was given that opportunity.  I have given Maryville College a small amount of knowledge with a tremendous amount of passion as we developed a program that gained a local, regional, and national reputation.  We have realized every goal that I had for this program.  

As a 7th grader growing up in rural East Tennessee, I could never have dreamed in a million years the experiences teaching would give me.  I have taught at the middle school, high school, community college, and college/university levels.  I have taught in public, private, and religious education institutions.  I have lectured/taught in Haiti, Brazil, the Philippines, Estonia, and Saudi Arabia.  To be honest, on many occasions I was scared out of my mind. 

However, I must thank numerous individuals for my successful tenure at Maryville College.  First, Marcia Keith took a risk and hired someone the polar opposite of her to be her closest colleague.  She gave me lots of freedom to develop certain aspects of the new licensure program.   

Second, it is impossible to find adequate words to express my gratitude to Alesia Orren, Becky Lucas, and Bonnie West.  Each of these individuals brought different skills and expertise to our program.  We have had tremendous success and program recognition over the past 10 years, and Alesia, Becky, and Bonnie should receive the proper recognition for this success. 

Furthermore, adjunct instructors played a significant role in our program.  There were too many to list them all, but three adjuncts played a critical role.  The work and expertise of Steve Fugate, Evelyn Homan, and Joe Malloy were essential in the development of our program.   

Finally, the Maryville College Teacher Licensure Program would not exist without the students.  Some of the most outstanding young men and women that I have ever known have graduated from our licensure program.  They embraced our vision of teaching and did the hard work that resulted in the positive recognition that we have received.   

A friend once told me that I was the luckiest person on this earth because I have always enjoyed my work.  I do consider myself fortunate. I have given Maryville College 28 of the most productive years of my professional life.  I do not have any regrets. 

Sincerely, 

Terry L. Simpson, EdD 
Director of Teacher Education 
Professor of Secondary Education 
Director, Maryville College East Tennessee Math/Science Partnership 2008-2012 
Fulbright Awards -  Estonia 2000 and Saudi Arabia 2002       

11 comments:

  1. You are a really good person, and few qualify for such praise! Nick Sizoo-Roberson benefited from your program for two years, then off to Western Colorado State University where he graduated magna cum laude and is now teaching in a Title ! school in Center, CO. You are one of Loudon's proudest "exports," and you have done so well for so many. Congratulations from all the Blairs, McPeakes, and Robersons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly was an honor to go through this program. The staff and faculty truly prepared me for a wonderful career in education. Dr. Simpson, had it not been for your words of wisdom, I would have left the field years ago. Many thanks to you for all you have done to advance teacher education. Bless you, sir....for blessing us children for all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Simpson it was and is an honor to have been a part of the Licensure program at Maryville. You have been and will continue to be an inspiration to me.
    Elias Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been tremendously blessed to have had the opportunity to have been taught by you and mentored for many years. There are no words to truly express how much you mean to so many of us. Your words, your light, your life, and your support will never be forgotten. May you continue to let God lead you... Bless you, Dr. Simpson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have touched lives exponentially, especially mine! Congratulations, I wish you the very best life has to offer my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I read this, tears immediately came to my eyes. I think of all of the lives you have touched...not just those who sat in your classroom, but all of the students taught by those who sat in your classroom. You are such a presence in my classroom, even today, 20 years after. You taught me accountability and honor in the profession and because of that, I am not only a better teacher but a better person. Congratulations are in order for your career. I sign this with gratitude for your influence on me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Simpson, you have meant so much to so many, and have made my Alma Mater a much better place. Thank you for always being a kind and engaging person despite me never have taken one of your courses. I am so glad for you and your impending retirement, and I hope many more happy and fulfilling years ahead. May God bless you and keep you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr. Simpson, first of all I want to say thank you. I appreciate you believing in me when I thought no one else did. You were absolutely right in saying God leads certain individuals into the field of teaching and only He can bring them out of it. I admire your servant's heart and brotherly love for ALL people. I want you to know that I am now a lead toddler teacher for a 3-star Edu-Care Center in Knoxville. I recall and use many of your best management strategies in my classroom. I would love for you to visit my classroom sometime. Above all else I am richly blessed to have been your student. I am praying for you.
    Sincerely, Elizabeth Smith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Dr. Simpson, for your servant heart. You are such an inspiration to me, and I feel so blessed to have been your student. Your wisdom and passion have shaped me into the teacher I am today, and I am so grateful for you. I always try to follow your example and be a light to every student I meet. Much love and respect❤️

    ReplyDelete